In light of the July 2016 coup attempt and resulting declared state of emergency in Turkey, the Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition (WHRDIC) released a statement expressing its solidarity with Kurdish women human rights defenders and their allies in their efforts to ensure gender and the full enjoyment of human rights in the country. The WHRDIC calls for the release of Ayla Akat, Gültan Kışanak, Aslı Erdoğan, Figen Yüksekdağ and other imprisoned human rights defenders. It further demands that the Turkish authorities lift all restrictions targeting women human rights defenders and their organizations in Turkey.
Read the full statement here.
- ICAN stands in solidarity with WHRDs and HRDs detained in Turkey
- New web platform to uphold the universality of rights in the face of rising threats
- Woman Human Rights Defender Shaimaa ElSabbagh Killed in Egypt
- Syria: Call for immediate release of human rights lawyer Khalil Ma’touq
- Over 350 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt