The Observatory on the Universality of Rights (OURs)* is pleased to announce the launch of its web platform: oursplatform.org.
The platform will be the go-to place for information and resources on safeguarding the universality of rights in international and regional human rights spaces.
A new collaborative project
Human rights are universal, indivisible, interdependent, and inalienable for every person in the world.
Yet, increasingly conservative actors are targeting the systems established to protect human rights for all. These actors use arguments based on anti-rights interpretations of religion, culture, tradition and state sovereignty to roll back our fundamental human rights — particularly women’s rights and gender justice— and to justify state impunity.
The Observatory on the Universality of Rights (OURs) is a new collaborative project that aims to monitor, analyze, and share information on anti-rights initiatives threatening international and regional human rights systems.
Grounded in a feminist framework, the OURs initiative works across regions, issues, and human rights spaces towards the advancement of social justice.
The project seeks to understand who is undermining the universality of human rights; why and how they seek to do it; and what can be done to secure equal human rights for all, including and especially rights related to gender and sexuality.
A platform for organizations and individuals
Are you or your organization:
- Working for gender justice at the international or regional level?
- Working at the national or local level and encountering religious fundamentalisms?
- Interested in learning more about the dynamics of international and regional human rights spaces and threats to human rights, or starting to engage in this kind of advocacy?
You will find on the OURs web platform:
- A wide range of resources–from quick-to-use tools to in-depth analysis and reports;
- Latest news related to the impact of religious fundamentalisms on human rights around the world;
- Major events that mark important opportunities to safeguard the universality of rights
PLEASE NOTE: The English-language site is now live, with French and Spanish versions set to launch in 2017.
Contribute to OURs
OURs welcomes organizations and activists that work to promote human rights, especially rights related to gender and sexuality, to engage and participate.
For more information, to share resources with us, to enquire about institutional membership, or to suggest opportunities for collaboration:
Please contact OURs@awid.org