This week more than 40 peacebuilders, researchers, and policymakers—including members of the Women’s Alliance for Security Leadership (WASL)—will convene in Oslo, Norway to discuss the gendered aspects of disengagement, rehabilitation and reintegration, with a focus on programs for women and girls associated with violent extremist groups and the policies that affect them. The workshop is part of a joint research initiative being conducted by ICAN and UNDP and will include practitioners from Algeria, Canada, Indonesia, Lebanon, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sweden, Tajikistan, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Uganda and the Western Balkans. By documenting their expertise and analyzing existing research, ICAN and UNDP aim to strengthen the knowledge base on the fate of female returnees and inform a new generation of policy and programming interventions at the local, regional and global levels with this initiative. The workshop is being organized by ICAN and UNDP, in collaboration with the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) and the Center for Research on Extremism (C-Rex) at the University of Oslo.
Sessions to include:
- Law and gender: legislation, prosecution, and legal provisions for civil society engagement
- Security and gender: screening, detention, and security provisions for civil society
- Ideology and gender: assessing and responding to ideological motivations and impacts
- Trauma and gender: surviving violence, coping with stigma, and psychological support
- Socioeconomics and gender: livelihoods, education and economic empowerment
- Gendered dimensions of working with communities, society and the media
- Programming design: the dos and don’ts of disengagement, rehabilitation and reintegration of women and girls
- Policy recommendations: actions and messages needed from states and multilaterals
For more information read the concept note.
- Announcing the Establishment of a Global Civil Society Platform Dedicated to Preventing Violent Extremism
- Launch of the Global Solutions Exchange
- Press Release: Launch of the Global Solutions Exchange
- Launch of the GSX Thematic Working Groups
- ICAN and Partners in CSW Event: Gendered Dimensions of Return, Rehabilitation and Reintegration from Violent Extremism