The International Civil Society Action Network (ICAN) is a DC-based non-profit organization whose mission is to support civil society activism in promoting women’s rights, peace and human security in countries affected by conflict, transition and closed political space. Our vision is a world founded on peace, equality and respect for pluralism.
The Accounting and Administrative Assistant is a part-time position, and provides support to ICAN’s Finance Director, Operations Officer, and the whole ICAN team.
Primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Process Accounts Payable (team expense report and bills from consultants and vendors).
- Ensure compliance with ICAN’s internal policies while processing all payables (i.e. review all supporting documentation, note any deficiencies, and follow up with staff as needed).
- Process online payments and reconcile bank accounts monthly.
- Bookkeeping (ICAN uses cloud hosted QuickBooks Premier Plus Desktop edition).
- Assist the Finance Director with financial audits (annual and projects).
- Organize and help maintain digital documentation in ICAN’s SharePoint Site.
- Help maintain vendors’ database.
- Other accounting/administrative tasks may be added later (within a year) such as monthly payroll processing and assisting with benefits administration.
- Other miscellaneous administrative tasks may occasionally be assigned by ICAN Operations Officer or Program staff.
- Must have permit to work in the US.
- Must have ability to work remotely (an adequate internet connection is necessary).
- Previous bookkeeping experience, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Experience with QuickBooks Premier Plus, Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 5+ years of experience.
- Understanding or willing to learn cloud storage systems such as SharePoint.
- Willing to learn and comply with the digital security and other necessary measures to protect ICAN’s digital information and networks.
- Great attention to details, being self-motivated, disciplined, and flexible to suit a dynamic working environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and respect for people with other cultures and backgrounds.
- Flexible hours, currently estimated at 10-20 hrs. per week.
- Compensation: starting at $25 per hr., commensurate with experience.
- Participation in 401K (up to 4% matching contribution by ICAN).
- Paid Federal Holidays plus 3 floating holidays (around Christmas and Thanksgiving).
- Paid time off (sick/bereavement and vacation) – pro-rated based on the average weekly hours.
NB: This is a part-time employment and does not qualify for group health insurance (minimum hours required to qualify are 30 hrs. per week).
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.