March 14, 2022
11:00-12:30 (ET) / 17:00-18:30 (SAST)
International Working Women’s Day, or International Women’s Day (IWD), is a celebration of women workers’ global struggles for women worker rights in the workplace, in society and at home. Gender-Based Violence (GBV) is a systemic challenge in South Africa and the world, rooted in Patriarchy and enforced through institutional and cultural practices. We invite you to an interactive discussion featuring a diverse, multi-generational panel of international activists:
• Bernedette Muthien, engender - facilitator & overview.
• Hibist Kassa, WoMin – Ethiopia, Eritrea, extractives/mining.
• Sheelu Francis, Tamil Nadu Women’s Collective India – rural women’s organising.
• Ahlam Almilaji, Zenobia Association for Syrian Women in Turkey – environment, climate change, migrant and refugee women.
• Iman Jabour, Kayan Palestinian Feminist Centre in Haifa – Palestinian women.
• Fatima Mahfud, National Union of Sahrawi Women – Western Sahara